United Labor Credit Union offers free financial education to all its members, prospective members, retirees, families and households, through many convenient avenues. By addressing financial literacy at the apprentice or craft orientation level of the local Union, ULCU has helped over 3,000 new union members to become smarter consumers, more responsible employees and active, informed members who generally take less time off work for stress-related illness, keep current in their union dues, do not request payroll advances and have fewer garnishment issues to tackle ... all while saving for the future.
ULCU's Financial U (FinU) for Apprenticeship Programs was developed by financial professionals who know how to move students from knowledge to the kinds of positive action that will help them begin - or restart - their financial lives on the right foot. Carefully designed exercises and activities move students step-by-step toward each of the seven core competentices that the program teaches. In the process, students:
- Create their own financial plan
- Develop a realistic household budget or spending plan
- Propose a personal saving and investment strategy
- Select strategies to use in handling credit and managing debt
- Demonstrate how to best use various financial services
- Gain understanding of personal and family insurance options
- Examine how their choice in a career and lifestyle will affect their financial plan
Along the way to learning these seven lessons, students also learn dozens of related skills, all designed to help them see how easy it can be, and how important it is, to manage their resources properly. Each program is administered using PowerPoint and is accompanied by educational support materials for each participant.
Program highlights include:
- Guides students to take action and increase their financial IQ
- NON-COMMERCIAL, never a sales pitch for ULCU
- Available at NO-COST to the Union or Union member, regardless of credit union affiliation
- Created by financial professionals and educators
- Intended and designed for long-term planning use in the home
- 100% customizable, deliverable in various formats
What's more, ULCU's work in adult financial education has earned local, state and national awards
for education innovation and its broad reach.
Like to learn more? Reach out at any time by sending an e-mail inquiry to ErinL@UnitedLaborCU.org
, or by calling (816) 313-2848, ext. 1007, to set up a course info session, or to get on our training calendar. Our 2019 training calendar is filling fast!